Bookshelf #001

"The Firm" by John Grisham, 1990

Mitchell McDeere has got everything you could wish for. He is young, handsome, intelligent, fit, newly married to a desirable woman and just freshly finished his law studies as one of the best. Then he gets a job offer that lures him to Memphis. The lawyer's office Lambert, Locke & Bendini promisses top salary, generous gratifications, a new car and aid to fund your first own home.
A condition is passing the exam as councellor. McDeere masters this task as well and everything could not be more perfect, until the day someone from the FBI tries talking to him. Questions that lurked in the depths of his consciousness, find their way to the surface. Why did those lawyers that wanted to leave the firm way before their retirement die? Have these all been accidents? And how much does the firm really have their hands in his life? 
His thoughts tumbling over, he realises he ist standing with one foot in the quicksand himself. There's just one possible option for him and his wife Abby: to take the bull by the horns, starting a game of time and life. 

My opinion:
Yeah, I can already hear you all saying: "What a damn old book!" But hey! There are a lot of good ones... just unfortunately this is not one of them. I have read the name John Grisham on so many covers of books in my life but I never read one of them. So putting together my last order on rebuy I thought "let's try it" and I at least I invested less than a euro.
I was annoyed by the story right from the beginning. Somehow I don't like characters who are just too perfect. And Mitch and Abby are Gary and Mary Sue. Or maybe it's because I find Mitch quite unsympathetic. And maybe it's because I got the edition with Tom Cruise on the cover. Whatever it is, Mitch is annoying.
Half of the book my only thought was that this was a story about white, rich men with white, rich men problems. Sounds boring? It is. At least it starts getting a bit more thrilling at around 50% of the number of pages. But that thrill is pretty limited.
And if there's any humour in any of the sentences... sorry, I did not detect it. 
On the other hand, it was not worse than 50 Shades of Grey


Spannung ❤❤♡♡♡
Action ❤♡♡♡♡
Erotik ♡♡♡♡♡
Humor ♡♡♡♡♡
Drama ♡♡♡♡♡
Spaß ❤♡♡♡♡
Horror ♡♡♡♡♡

4/35 ❤



0 Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen

 

Follower

Follow me on Bloglovin'!

Follow